If my decisiveness causes divisiveness, then come what may because I've lived too much of my life in the gray.







Monday, March 14, 2011

Living "Country"

     Yesterday, we got the delivery of our first spring calf to bottle feed (from the dairy) on a 4 wheeler that had to go quite a ways to get it done.  We know a fella who doesn't even have a driver's license and that's how he gets around.  He said he wanted to help the kids out, save them some money, and he wasn't playing.  I was struck by his sincerity as I heard him coming back up the drive yesterday.  When I realized he had a calf wrapped in his lap, I threw my hand up and screamed, "Wait, you gotta let me get the camera!" ('cause nobody's going to believe this and.... it was just plain cute).                                                                 
     That's not something that'll happen in the city, subdivision, or most suburbs.  Yes, there are pets there but more for pleasure than purpose.  Even cats are often expected to rid the home and property of pests out here and dogs are honored for their protection.  I do like the canines that "look" mean.  My Pitbull is evidence, although it's funny that the old Lab is many times more likely to bite.  With his hair standing on his neck and head low, he's kept plenty of people in their cars and for the most part, I like it that way.  Not all "country" dwellers have a pig, but we got one by default.  The kids named it "Rochelle", after the one in "Everybody Hates Chris".  They compare their Daddy and me to her and Julius in fits of giggles.  Anyway, who needs a disposal when you've got a pig?  And if the feared rationing ever played out, Rochelle would conveniently cease to have a name.  Fresh eggs, now, they speak for themselves.                                                            
     Not everybody out here chooses to do the barnyard thing, but if they're fortunate to live on land or to know someone who does, they can cut down or hang up whatever the heck they want to without breaking somebody's ordinance.  The freedom to just roam, shoot or hunt, start a bonfire, drive or ride around like mad, or scream if you need to... is all American.  To take a swim in a pond or a creek without having to plan an outing is convenience at its best.  Not having to defend or explain "rights" or Patriotism to neighbors is a relief.  Now, before you think I plan to stay isolated, think again and read more about us.  There is a chance of  predisposition to closed mindedness for people who never leave the area, but, let me tell you, some of those folks you don't want to be out and about too far!                                                                   
     Then there's the "country" look - earthy, windblown, able-bodied, sun kissed.  Seems to me that's what everybody's paying for these days.  Dressing down - a pair of worn boots and a Carhartt shirt isn't something that can be faked, though.  The "overalls" look is, to me, a utilitarian thing, not much of a tease.  Mike went out and bought, himself and all the kids he could size, ones when we were blessed to move back to the outskirts.  That's about the time I came on Facebook and was a little concerned that we looked like we had flown the coop.                                                                                                                                                
     There are probably assumptions that "country" people are "dirty".  I could say I think the same of naturalists.  It's as individual as anything anywhere.  We may go out planting and get our hands in the dirt, go barefoot and play in the rain, get sweaty and jump in the pond spontaneously, work on the big rig to help out Daddy; but it all stops at the door.  We don't wear shoes in the house and we have order over all the things that follow us in from our work and play outside.                                                                                
     "Country" living has its detractions: bad cell signals, flies, the drive to get "anywhere" and the gas & time it takes to get there.  What some would call the same are tokens of affection here - an already empty box of band-aids is my prompt that Spring has sprung.  Hardiness in children is a needful thing.  Don't they say that you have to fall down to stand up?  Self sufficiency is sought after.  I can't speak for others (and our children won't always volunteer as I wish) but ours can do virtually anything they put their minds to.  I love to turn everything off, send them away, and discover later what they've accomplished.                                    
     I'd like to claim the "country" as the anomaly for much of this, BUT we spent a year recently in a subdivision with a .18 acre yard and can profess that "country" is simply "attitude".  Thankfully, there was a soccer park nearby with a small stream running through it.  We dug out the water shoes and got right down in there, catching some of the same "wild" things that we find here.  We took the yard from zero to "fab" and still had white carpet in the end.  Once as all stood in awe, our son decided to rescue a large harmless snake from the 2 by 4 a neighbor was furiously wielding at it.  And, as for work, it makes sense that the physical part is associated with "country", but I'll admit that our 11 year old son did more strenuous work there mowing every other lawn on the block.  2 of our older daughters washed cars, cleaned houses, and babysat - raking in the dough for themselves.  (I can't leave this subject without mention that we met some of our closest friends there and could just yell out a greeting to them.)  Some benefits of proximity are huge to city goers.                                                                                     
     I used to think that "country" tradition carried with it a better upbringing for children and if times were the same, I suppose I still would.  We've lived in this welcoming plethora of down to earth people for almost 2 years now.  I don't care to live anywhere else.  It's that good.  BUT, I've noticed something I dare call an implosion.  It doesn't pertain to everyone, but it's big enough to make me uncomfortable at times.  I'm afraid there's a lot taken for granted, that the way of life is being passed along, that being a "good ole boy" has the same connotations as it used to.  Before I go ahead, I'll take responsibility for the leniency in my own home.  It might have started with a husband who accepted things more readily than I; and to keep peace, I learned to pick my battles.  But somewhere along the line, I embraced some things and let other things go, basically, lowering the standard.  The music - listen, I like the bass in "club"/ghetto music as much as the next person, but when I sat in this chair last week as our 10 year old played the lyrics of a song I "thought" was halfway decent, I nearly fell out of it.  I was already mulling over the thoughts of a friend who is concerned that the rearing of their last 3 children varies much from that of the first 3.  It was an, "It's time to clean house!" moment!  It's true; I would've never considered this "okay listening" in years prior.  The language - a word is tossed around as comedy here and before I know it, the very same word is flung out in rage.  The dress - it "follows suit", although I like to think that modesty is still honored in this house.  The balance of grace and law is ongoing and hard to perfect.                                                                                                                    
     My point is that a crudeness is prevailing in society, all society, even way out here in the "country".  As any intelligent person could ascertain: TV, radio, and internet are ready and available to pick apart the minds and souls of our children.  Being in the "country" doesn't mean that everyone is out taking advantage of it.  I remember hearing in the mountains, before our move, teenagers complaining of boredom.  "What?  People travel from all over to 'be' in the majesty of this place, to canoe, to hike, even to shop."  It makes my point for me.  Even in "country" schools where teachers are neighbors and prayers are spoken loudly after practice on the football field, mandates have tied teachers' hands from discipline for the degenerate behaviours brought from the homes of their students.   Regardless of the place on the map, groves of homes are disintegrating.  In the names of individuality and tolerance or simple lack of oversight, children are allowed to toy with most anything they fancy.  When they cross the line, they're hardly penalized.  And we've got the same problems out here in the boondocks, but the solution is the same, the Christ who loves us all... the same.

1 comment:

  1. AMEN! It's so funny how the Lord Jesus is calling out to so many of us on the same subject...I spoke with a friend earlier & we shared our concern about where we are all heading...Time to slow down and focus.

    ReplyDelete