If my decisiveness causes divisiveness, then come what may because I've lived too much of my life in the gray.







Saturday, February 12, 2011

Madalynn

     Madalynn is 3 today, our 7th (thus her Daddy found the German prefix, Zepto, for her middle name) and last natural born child.  He had the "clip" done last spring to resolve every family member's and doctor's fears of how dangerous my pregnancies were getting.  I was a vbac (had a section), over 35 yo with a clotting disorder which meant automatic high risk doctor and induction.  The fact I had 6 deliveries also put me at higher risk they said, but I question that.                                                                                                       
     The varicous veins appeared during my 2nd pregnancy, but only caused a little discomfort sometimes.  It had never occurred to me to check into genetics on the subject, but then I started to take into account the summertime spent at my Granny's.  The hot, Georgia sun and her love to be outside gave way to shedding the pants for shorts.  Her legs were covered in knots and snakelike veins and she only had one baby, but smoked to her detriment.  I would whence, just as people do at me, because it looked dreadfully painful and ugly.                                                                                                                                              
     Thrombophebitis set into each pregnancy thereafter, starting early on because the blood almost doubles in a childbearing body and with valves that don't pump correctly to start with, it's a no win.  The worst bout was with Macklynn and I had high hopes that it was a fluke.  I exercised, moved around, wore the $150 custom stockings, gained little weight, stayed hydrated ... but it got me anyway.  My entire inner calf was affected and it was growing no matter what I did and this meant 3 things:  3 blood thinner injections daily, bed rest, and the dreaded induction when it came time.  One certainly can't go giving birth with thin blood.   
Seems whiny now that I cried and cried when I finally presented myself to the doctor.  I just think of pregnancy as the most magnificent time of life and a sick one, dependent on everyone for help, isn't my style. 
     The rest of the time before her birth was pretty uneventful, no other physical problems.  Induction was planned.  That whole process is funny to me, like ordering up a baby or something.  Mike and I drove to Wake Forest alone knowing for the first time none of the children would attend.  Macklynn had come in 1 hr 45 min start to finish, so I thought I'd forgo the pain meds again.  Problem was Madalynn wasn't ready yet to show her pretty, little face to the world ... no progress, no progress, more pitocin, more pitocin.  They maxxed it out (and then, of course, there was talk of "taking" her).  NOT ONE person can compare pain they have had to that unnatural, unforgiving, incessant contraction unless he/she has had a body part severed unmedicated.  I took it for another hour and threw all my "beautiful power" comments out the window and threatened the nurses if they didn't count down the time it'd take for the anesthesiologist to get there, I'd get up and find him.  I've called a lot of women wusses for taking the easy route but the relief that day was better than any high could compare.   Almost 11 hours total, more time than my first delivery, it took.  Perfection is always worth waiting on, though.

1 comment:

  1. There's something amazing about the way you recount all of this. It's like I get to share it...Thank you.

    ReplyDelete