If my decisiveness causes divisiveness, then come what may because I've lived too much of my life in the gray.







Saturday, August 20, 2011

Practice Makes Perfect

     I posted a picture of McKala and her band of "babysat" kids and creatures today and it didn't spawn much reaction.  Here's the thing: she's already become the person I wasn't until my 30's.  As I've had heart to heart talks with neighbors and friends recently, she's been the one getting a meal ready for that person and their family. I don't mean just any meal - good, rich, soul food.  She's 14 and is practicing something that we're losing in this culture:  fundamental homestyle care for the less fortunate and the broken.  Is it a gift of hospitality she was born with?  Maybe, but "all" the children have a heart for it in some form.  She, though, has blossomed this summer, spending weeks of time volunteering at camp, and hours in the kitchen.
     It's easy for me to see what the kids don't do up to par, but I would be remiss to not express my elation that they care for someone besides themselves.  Compassion is welling up in them, not just from the things they've suffered but from the maturity that brings thankful insight.  I don't ever want them to be the ones eager to get their picture in the paper for a good deed or to do volunteer work so as to better a college application. I don't want them to think everything worth doing involves money or a foot up.  She has her struggles just like us all.  When she's exhausted, she's "done" and can be very frank about it with that carrying voice which can be startling.  Also, pride, the distortion that takes the good out of anything, has to be constantly pushed aside ...her own agendy set aside as well, because as much as she may seem a "Suzy Homemaker", she's very much a social butterfly and WAS born with a need for being out and about.  I will say ...my answer is often "yes" when she has been presented with a reasonable invitation for fun.
     Clubs, associations, and groups get some things done, but how many of us step in closer?  Today, as she was already dogsitting and babysitting, she prepared enough supper to feed a small army to ease the burden of my friend who lost her father in a tragic accident, not only without complaint, but also with excitement for the details of extra touches.  As Christians, we hope our children become "good samaritans", but are they practicing it already ...like everything else they aspire to be in adulthood?
     She knows what's right and what's wrong because the Bible's words are not questioned here.  She knows when a child needs prayer, a hand up, or boundaries.  She's knows when an adult needs to heard, has strayed, or is grieving.  She knows that she's nothing without the grace of a living, everpresent God.  I couldn't ask for thoughts more pleasing to rock me to sleep tonight.   God took the mess of a girl I was and made this unorthodox family of Harpers for His glory.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment