If my decisiveness causes divisiveness, then come what may because I've lived too much of my life in the gray.







Friday, April 8, 2011

Mark Hilton, common man?

     I made a call a couple of weeks ago to a number I got online.  "Mr. Hilton?" I asked and could hear a child in the background.  "Yes," he said.  "Oh, I am so sorry.  I've called your residence.  I had no idea,"  I said dumbfounded.  "Now that you have me, what is your concern?" he replied in a friendly voice.  I stumbled all over my words in telling him my call was about the "Interscholastic Sports Open to All" Bill and wanted to know if there was ANYTHING I could do to move it along or represent it in ANY WAY.  He appears to be a "common man" and  is the North Carolina state representative newly sponsoring the bill.  He said most others have chosen their ground on the matter.  I think persuasion still has a fighting chance, so although I would like to speak in front of the committee, let them meet our children, petition every supporter we know, obtain referrals by coaches and fellow sportsman, I'll begin with a letter and hope that it has power.  I'll skip the formalities here and get straight to the meat that I plan to send every committee member and representative, hoping he/she actually even reads and votes on the matter in the midst of all the pressing ones.
     We are not homeschoolers who want to hold our children captive from society.  We just have found that "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" regarding the origination of learning.  It's worked for us for 14 years when my husband and I, having experience from both ends of the educational spectrum, honors and detention, decided to take this on.  There are some homeschoolers who are concerned that if "we" as a collective are "given" something, the "state" will "require" something.  Since the citizens of North Carolina pay the same property and sales taxes, I can't see that we homeschoolers would be "taking" anything.  I understand that in the loss of each student, Federal funds are lowered, but that is really null and void when the student isn't present to use the funds.  We don't want to "take" from anyone. In contrast, although we would consider it a privilege to have our childrens' abilities accepted and fostered under skilled and experienced coaching staffs, we believe and have testimony that our kids are "assets" to their teams and that the group gains from their participation and leadership.  They have been ingrained by us to respect authority and standards, fully expecting to "fall in", following their elementary teammates/good friends to the next level of competition.  We've almost exhausted the programs available through the Parks and Recreation Leagues and will have a local private school as a gracious host for a while, but as things stand now, it will come to an end soon unnecessarily, when they "age out".
     The advice we've been given is to form our own leagues or to simply enroll them in school; afterall, they are older.  There are a few "homeschool leagues" in North Carolina, all of which would demand a long drive.  We have 7 children, so that isn't feasible.  To start anything local in this rural community would be scarcely attended at best and would hardly draw serious attention from college scouts. To put them in "school" would interrupt their progress.  The path we've selected is to test (into the invaluable assistance North Carolina offers in letting 16 - 18 year olds attend the college system, with only a book charge), to find their niche to volunteer for, and begin work to gain access to other avenues of interest, as our now 20 year old did in paying for her own flight lessons and getting her Private Pilot License just after turning 17, the second youngest to test in under that administrator.  Oh, and the third piece of advice we get -  involve them in more solitary sport.  Our 2 older daughters did just that in the flying for the one and for them both: Tae Kwon Do, archery, dance, horsemanship, and even pickup games with other youth.  However, for this new competitive "breed" of youngsters we have, that list doesn't impassion them.
     To expand on our "keeping it at home" way, we homeschool (for lack of a better word) because of the level of personal accountability and discipline we can assess; because of independent ingenuity and time/materials to express it in creativity; because of exploration of obscure/individual interests and gifts; because of the setting with realistic generational relationships; because of family life - child teaching child, child freely playing as a child ought, child developing good nature/humor and not permitted to do so at the cruel expense of another, child performing physical work of household and property maintenance along with animal husbandry, then child working and volunteering in the community with the drive to "live it like you mean it"; because of getting to spend time with Daddy who has odd hours and responsibilities as an owner/operator under his own authorities; because of the trips that several of us have taken with him to 48 states (to The Alamo, the San Diego Zoo, the Columbia River, The Smithsonian, the Adirandacks, the forgotten caves of the Appalachians, the seas of the Gulf Coast, the Alabama Battleship, the Rio Grande and so very much in between that they have touched and seen); and because Christ is the center of it all and all is taught with due relevance ...as well as opposing viewpoints.  So, you see, this is a lifestyle and we see your sports system as a VERY valuable facet to the well roundedness of our family.  Our son has played football now for 5 years.  He is "sold", in love, always ready, never late, continually firing up the team and discouraging bad attitudes (reprimanding selfpity and outbursts of anger).  One of his 11 year old teammates I hadn't met, approached me at a restaurant and told me of how Michael got them through the game.
     For now, all lovers of the game lend me your hearts.  In the sweat and determination of football, boys find confidence coupled with humility.  They find their threshold of pain and tolerance.  They form a brotherhood in reaching their common "goal".  They're pushed to find what's lying within to finish what they begin.  They learn it from men who have gone before them who care that the mind and body of those boys are working in synchronicity.  Then, there's the field, the spectacle, game day, glory, defeat, still a band of friends in the end.  Michael just turned 13, is 5'11, and is made of the fusion of Georgia and Alabama blood with great grandfathers towering at 6'6.  I don't see how exclusion for a young man (who can make the cut) from such an experience can come from educators, who claim to teach the very best things to brighten the future of young America.  I know that there's an "association" that regulates this all and I have spoken with the director himself, who had a speech of rules ready for me.  My understanding is that the three concerns are of grade accountability, insurance, and districts.  Coaching staff spends so much time with athletes that learning deficiences would be apparent and who's to say that the required grade average is in basic or advanced learning?  If personal insurance is held (and if not, the taxes cover the state's purchase of it), then that issue seems negligable.  Even to the average person, districts really aren't difficult to trace and manage.  It doesn't seem virtuous, over these slight issues, to ban boys who are so desperate to play.
      Fear not, I'm in this for the girls, too.  The fire was just fanned by our son.  In the last 3 years, our 14 year old daughter has become prolific at softball and basketball.  She, like her brother, gives a "chin up" mentality to the players.  Today, the coach's wife shared with me in sincerity that McKala is respectful to no end and carries a smile wherever she is, which happens to be First Base.  Her 10 year old sister is right on her heels, gaining understanding of plays and quickly developing skill.  The exercise alone is irreplaceable. This IS their social circle.  These sports link them to the community and contrary to some beliefs, our kids are not unexposed to diversity.  McKala, the 14 year old, played Rec League Basketball this year in the city of Statesville with hispanic, black, boy, girl and loved every minute of it.  When it came time for her birthday party, she invited her new black girl friend on the team to spend the night, along with her other friends from our town (which I dare say is uncommon here).  As far as she sees, there is no color barrier and doesn't cave to peers to convince her otherwise.   So, please allow the "exposure"/ the experience to continue, regardless of the school they attend.  As far as I know, 23 states have already.                                                                                     The best of both worlds IS what I'm pleading with you for.  If I could speak before you, I would.  If I could bring our children for you to behold their countenances and hear their stories, I would.  If I could present you with a petition of approval from our coaches, parents, teammates, a collegiate official, doctors, and others, I would.  If I could show you pictures of them "on their game", I would.  If you would put yourself in my shoes to see my pure intent, I would be grateful and delighted to have your representation and give you my support for your compassion on this voice and those of young athletes who need a "place" to continue on at what they excel.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment