If my decisiveness causes divisiveness, then come what may because I've lived too much of my life in the gray.







Saturday, March 16, 2013

Redeemed

     BAMA fans, I did you "proud".  That word is entrenched everywhere!  Let's just say I "represented" up here in Carolina!  I thought of editing the picture to not reveal the uncomplimentary "midsection" shot but it would defeat the purpose of the ongoing confession of my last great stronghold and its tentacles into my life.  Plus, I must've pulled my shirt down to ensure no skin was showing, thus the "1" is drooping.  Ha!  Regardless, I'd worn the shirt to town for McKala's blood tests and errands yesterday, then only had 20 minutes to get ready for the concert last night.  I couldn't think of what I wanted to change into, so I left it on.  I'm a fan of Big Daddy Weave's music but not enough to know much about the band.  So, when Mike's brother, Jay, came out on stage with his Cam Newton BCS Auburn jersey, I just shook my head.
     Funny thing is that I began to feel uncomfortable on the hour long way there.  I'd busied through the day and didn't give any forethought to the concert being in a church.  I'd put on too much eye-makeup; I had on my black team shirt and black cowboy boots (that were just resoled for the 3rd time - ain't no "fad" for me); and I had on my jeans with the knees blown out.  Granted they're my "fat" jeans that I never dreamed I'd still be wearing.  Nevertheless, I looked like I should be going to the Lady Antebellum concert Mike took me to 2 years ago.  That's the day the picture beside my blog posts was taken.  A lot has changed since then, in my heart but not my body. 
     A lot has changed in Mike since then too.  Did anyone catch that:  MIKE took ME to a Christian concert?  I didn't ask him to go.  He found out about it on his own and wanted to go!
     First up was Citizen One.  I've heard their song on the radio but was unable to recognize the raw talent of the lead singer.  Incredible, he's incredible.
     Second was Chris August.  If you haven't heard of him, you haven't been listening to contemporary Christian radio, at all.  Oh, you think it's "hum drum"?  Boring?  Yeah, well, maybe I've thought that too.  Dig deeper and you'll find songs that stir your spirit.  He wrote "Starry Night" and told the theater of listeners that 3 years ago in the exact spot there in Greensboro is where he heard people singing his song with him for the first time.  He has "soul" in his voice and guitar that I'd put up against anybody on the radio now.  I related to him also when he talked about his asthma.  McKala's still limits her so that she can't walk, work, or play without her pulse racing.  It's so contrary to who she was before. 
     Third and last, Big Daddy Weave.  Throughout the night, there was as much testimony as singing.  You'll not get that at a Lady Antebellum Concert.  And I surely didn't at Def Leppard, Van Halen, Bon Jovi, or 38 Special in the 80s.  I was so wasted that I have no memory whatsoever of even being at the 38 Special concert.  We can laugh over old times; but in truth, it isn't funny.  Is music to you just what makes you feel good or is it something you can offer in praise to your Creator?  It can be soulful and powerful and loud as you want it to be, but with a beautiful, clear conscience.
     Big Daddy Mike Weaver is a "big" guy.  I knew the song we love was coming when he laid his heart out for us all.  In 2009, upon the delivery of his 3rd child - I believe, he commenced on a regimen to lose 90 pounds by the end of the year and broadcasted his goal, for accountability, I suppose.  On December 31st,  he weighed in 6 pounds under and it crushed him.  The image he needed to uphold, the deadlines of weights and dates took him back down to the "fat kid" who broke under the word "failure" that he draped himself with.  The pounds came back and as he was struggling in the garage one night, he said God came to him in what might as well have been an audible voice.  That's when "Redeemed" was created.
     So, as he began the song, my Mike was one of the first to stand.  And then he lifted his hands.  You see, I've never seen him do that.   So, what the song meant for me suddenly shifted to him. 
     I've never "done it" either, not in public.  I can raise my hands to God in all kinds of private places, even the bathroom when I'm listening to songs my life strongly coincides with and might die if someone walked in on it.  This thing between "God and me" is sacred.  I mean that.  It's holy ground.  I never want it to look like a show.  It's hard for me to worship in front of other people, even our children.  It's hard for me to pray outloud because so much of what I say is what words can't.  It's the revelation that I made an immediate connection with in the book, "O me of little faith".
     Awkwardly, I put my hand up anyway.  It's like I'd crossed over to the "other side".  All of a sudden, I saw it through God's eyes - a mass of people with their arms reaching for Him, surrendering.  That's what it was for me anyway.  Matthew 18:20 ~ "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them," had new meaning.
     The "concert" ended not in some kind of "finale" but in a meek, lengthy beckoning for lives to be given over.  I wouldn't trade any concert in the world for it. 
     We meandered around afterwards until I discovered what Mike was really doing, staying to get a picture Jay and me.  You know why we had to wait so long, midnight?  Because Jay was still praying with people.  Hey, their music is real; their faith is real!  We caught on his way out and got the picture.  You do see the Alabama shirt says number ONE and the Auburn shirt says number TWO ;)
     The line was at its end for lead singer, Mike; so, my Mike and me went to meet him.  My Mike told him that he'd just begun listening to Christian radio last fall.  He was still "owner operating" living on the road, when every time he'd find another sydicated KLove station, "Redeemed" would be playing.  He even called me about it.  You know by now I don't believe in coincidences.  He told him that when there was no end in sight of continuing "business as usual" is when God put him at Samaritan's Purse.  What he forgot to tell him is that "Redeemed" is his ringtone :)
     As Mike had a few words with the drummer, I got to tell "Big Daddy" my own experience.  Facebook friends might remember I posted that I was in the garage downstairs bench pressing when I heard "Redeemed" for the first time.  I stopped everything and sobbed.  The next day I heard on the radio that the song was written in his garage as he was working out and the devil was waging a battle of self worth against him.  I couldn't believe it and maybe you don't, but it doesn't matter because it was affirmation for me and that's ALL that mattered. 
     I told him that it's hard to comprehend why a person can get so many things right except "this one thing".  Big Daddy gave me a fist bump :D ...because right then and there we understood each other.
     At 1:30 am, Mike and I found a Waffle House.  Halfway through my favorite, omelet and hashbrowns, I asked for a box. 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment