If my decisiveness causes divisiveness, then come what may because I've lived too much of my life in the gray.







Saturday, March 14, 2015

Getting Back My Happy Place

     Thursday before last, I decided to ride out to see Mike in Tennessee since the kids' effort to do so fell apart.  First, I had to stay with Virgie Friday afternoon.  In the meantime, Megan changed my oil, rotated my tires and had them balanced, vacuumed and washed the car, AND left me a chocolate toffee bar and a doubleshot coffee in the cup holder!
     Miranda drove to pick up Michael from the carpool for Spring Break, then stayed home to sell the rest of the piglets.  She and Megan cared for Macklynn and Madalynn while McKala and Melody tagged along with me.  We sang our old favorites clear to the other side of Nashville.
     We rolled into the frigid temperatures of the town of Monterey 5 hours later. Mike descended from the sleeper of one of the "units" to welcome us.
     Saturday morning, I had to get dressed before I had coffee and spent half an hour in the shower trailer in a daze.  I changed clothes a couple of times, dropped my stuff more times than that, and tried to brush my hair but it stood on end toward the metal walls.
     Breakfast is served at 6:30 and there sat a room full of people I've met and worked with before in a sea of orange volunteer shirts.  There was a lot of neck hugging then on to the first site.
     It was a big yard with large limbs downed positively everywhere from the ice storm they'd had.  I was surprised to see that there were still 3 inches of ice and snow.  We took up where the work was left the day before as Mike drove the Skid Steer to move the piles of wood.
     When we were done, someone said that the owner of the house, an 81 year old widow, had refused prayer, claiming to be a Buddhist.  Everyone was concerned that she might also refuse the customary Bible every home owner is presented with.  So, the person standing next me encouraged me to find something to say to her.  I was put on the spot and hesitant but saw an opening and took it.  It was now or never!
     I just started asking questions and told her who I was.  We found some things in common.  Then, I asked her if she was alone.  She said her daughter lives in Florida and her son in Louisiana, and that her husband of 43 years died three years ago.  He had a "do not resuscitate" order and she stood by as it was carried out.
    She told me they had a code:  he would squeeze her hand twice meaning "love you" and she would squeeze his three meaning "love you too."  Just before he died he squeezed her hand four times as to outdo her before he left.  She made me cry and we hugged red-eyed.
     We had to leave but the people who remained said she allowed the prayer and received the Bible.  I don't know if was the army of orange working for her or what I said that made an avenue for God's Word to find its way into her home, but I do know her heart was soft after we talked.
     God is good to reveal Himself even when we're clumsy. and we don't always have to naildrive the gospel straight into someone to give them God.  We just have to step forward and be willing to be a vessel.
     The other sites weren't as challenging.  The saws and Skid Steer did most of the work, but we got to meet some neat guys who all work/worked at the Savannah River Site, a nuclear reservation.  It was good to see intellectuals out there working hard and believing that God is the master engineer!
      There was a project squeezed into the schedule and when we arrived, there was a massive guy picking up huge logs.  He only needed the equipment to move the trunk for him.
      He turned out to be 6'6, 375 pounds and a big cutup who also happens to grow flowers and reverence God.  And when he got cleaned up, he came with gift cards and homemade jelly to the host church where we were staying.  I think he's one of those people we'll be keeping in touch with!
      After I pulled off a moderate dinner among the multitude of choices the volunteer cooks had presented, Mike got us a room at a nice local hotel.  I took an extra long shower and he took a nap, which helped him gear up for the other reason I came.
      God has dealt with me heavily not to disregard this "due benevolence" to my husband, regardless of my age, condition, mood, circumstances, or how we're feeling toward each other.  I've been led kicking and screaming sometimes, but He has profoundly reassured me that it is good (and necessary) in His sight, which means it is my conscious decision to make ready, willing, and able all of my heart,  body,  mind, and soul, not to worship my husband but to honor my God.
       For whatever reason, I woke up the next morning with a migraine.  I couldn't see to my left or to my right.  The time had changed and I was too confused to figure out when church started.  What I did know is that I was ever so glad to have the hotel room to recuperate in.
      I took several Benadryl and several Tylenol.  I drank several cups of coffee and several cups of Coke.  I used the nose spray I always keep with me and Mike went to get Ziploc bags to put ice on my neck.
     I was short with him.  I knew I was doing it and in my Benadryl delirium, didn't stop myself.  He was patient and helpful.  By the end of the day, I was shaky but able to go back to the church for dinner.  I only had clean the jeans that ordinarily I would wear out with Mike.  I was uncomfortable around his fellow workers and volunteers the way I was at the Big Daddy Weave concert.  Makes me rethink modesty.  I was glad to get back with him to the room after we stopped at Dairy Queen and I thankfully opted for the "mini Blizzard," strawberry, of course.
     Monday morning we hugged more necks and hit the road to meet Michael for his orthopedic recheck 4 hours away in Boone, NC.  Leaving in the daytime displayed from the highway what looked like tornado damage, tops of trees consistently gone.  Sloan was also on her Spring Break and met us there to take Melody and McKala for coffee and pedicures.  She is trying so hard to extend herself in any way that she can.
     What Michael and I found out per new exam and x-ray is that his collarbone was rubbing his shoulder bone and that the remedy was to shorten it.  I talked with Michael and his Daddy afterwards and starting calling the office the next day to advocate surgery this week.
     Tuesday, after rebooting and organizing, I took the boys to BJ's Warehouse to restock before our membership runs out.  It's just too far now to renew.  We had to be back for Macklynn's first baseball practice.  Madalynn started karate this week also but on the alternating days of baseball.  The older girls have volunteered to help, so that I won't be gone any more evenings than I have to be.
      Wednesday we run errands, Melody takes piano, Madalynn learns more self defense, we do some visiting, then we have a fellowship meal and service with the church.  This Wednesday Macklynn and Madalynn also had to be at the dentist's office.
      Thursday morning Michael had his turn at the dentist's, then at the DMV to finish up his license.   While we were there, the ortho office called and said they could do surgery Friday.  We only had to come for a consultation that afternoon.  Talk about patient care!  We had to get straight back for baseball though.  McKala kindly met me at the door to take him on.
      By late Friday afternoon, Michael had lost one half inch of his collarbone and was coming out from the extra anesthesia it took to put him under.  Sloan was waiting there with me and keeping the conversation lively so that I did not need to watch the clock.  She had also brought a big box of homemade things to leave with him after she went back to Lynchburg to work for the weekend.
      At 5 am this morning, Megan left for Georgia with all the younger ones on a preplanned trip to visit grandparents and ex-coworkers.   After kisses and prayers, I went back to sleep.
      Due to my monthly rant (yes, PMS has lit on my shoulder once more), the kids had done a good job of their own cleaning, including McKala and Miranda tearing down parts of the barn, and I knew today was the last shot to get my things done since Virgie's family needed me tonight and tomorrow.  Don't worry; Michael said that I snored a lot last night and that he preferred McKala as a nurse.
      My bags were still packed from last weekend.  150 pounds of salt had to be put in the well filter.  Toiletries from BJ's still needed a home.  Receipts, mail, and lists had to be sorted.  I needed a shower.  My bathroom needed to be cleaned.  I hadn't exercised in a week.  And I was down to one pair of underwear, which isn't saying much (since I only keep 7) except that my laundry has to be done regularly.
     As quiet as the house was with the Georgia bunch gone and Miranda at her new job, reality soon set in that it was up to me to do the indoor and outdoor chores of everyone else!  How quickly we begin to appreciate the little things and big things that other people help us with.
    I got a lot done and was well pleased with everything but what I allowed myself to eat today ...and how I reacted to a phone call before I left.  Not saying I was wrong to say what I said, but my feelings get ahead of my reasoning (actually, my "mistrust" ahead of my "trust" for my Lord's care and defense of me) and it's as though I'm a five year old Christian again.
     So, as I sit here unable to sleep because of too much caffeine, too much guilt, and too Steakum; Megan and the littles are sleeping at Memaw's, the Harper household is in good hands, Mike is still in Tennessee, and I'm sitting up in one of Virgie's spare beds, glad that my Bible keeps giving me hope for a new day and a new horizon which might hold some rhythm that gets me back to my happy place, home sweet home.  I brought my great big cup that McKala bought me (along with a sports bra) just before our trip to Tennessee that says, "Learn from yesterday, live for today, and hope for tomorrow."  I'm gonna put that gourmet caramel coffee she gave me in my cup  ...and do like it says.
   
     
   

No comments:

Post a Comment